The Berlin Wall fell on the evening of the 9th November. The border point Bornholmer Strasse was the first which yielded to the pressure of the crowd gathered there.
Tens of thousands of citizens of the GDR crossed the Böse bridge into West Berlin passing over the state border which also stood for the communist system.
location: Bornholmer Strasse
The border installations were torn down in 1990 and after the re-unification of Berlin the bridge was restored. To remind people of the opening of the border point of the Berlin Wall the city planted a grove of cherry trees under the bridge. There is a plan to have many centrally located points with commemorative plaques stretching from the Wall Park - created in 1994 - up to the Nordbahn grounds to remind the citizens of the division of Berlin by the Wall. In Berlin the Bösebridge is also called the "Bornholmer Bridge". It connects the city districts Prenzlauer Berg and Wedding passing over the tracks of the main-line and the city railway (S-Bahn). The station Bornholmer Strasse exists since 1935. Its steel arch is 138 metres long and 27 metres wide. The construction of the first nickel-steel bridge in Berlin started in 1912 and it cost one million Reichsmark. It was inaugurated in 1916 and bore first the name of Hindenburg and was renamed in 1948 after the electrician Wilhelm Böse (1883-1944), an antifascist murdered by the National socialists.