Skip to main content
© tic / Friedel Kantaut


The Mauerpark is set up in the area where the former Berlin Wall used to divide the city into two parts from 1961 until 1989. At the park the districts Prenzlauer Berg and Wedding were divided.

A row of concrete markers on the foot path in the Mauerpark show where the front wall of the former frontier protection used to be. On the slope of the park there is the so called “Hinterlandmauer” (back land wall) of a length of about 100 metres preserved. The area of the Mauerpark used to be arable land just outside the city until the 19th century. From 1825 the guard regiment of the Prussian army used the area on the Verlorene Weg (since 1862 Schwedter St) as their parade ground. This parade ground is popularly called the “Exer”. The goods depot (Eberswalder Güterbahnhof) for the Northbound station built in 1872 on the Schwedter St / corner Bernauer St was used until the end of the 1970’s. At the north end of the park there is the Böse bridge on the Bornholmer St. Here the wall was opened for the first border crossing-point on the 9 November 1989 after the protests of the awaiting crowd, thousands of East German citizens that night crossed over the border to West Berlin. As a memorial for the fall of the wall there was a cherry orchard planted underneath the bridge. The frontier protection was demolished in 1990. The Prenzlauer Berg round-table agreed to keep the ground of the Mauerpark as an open area with no buildings on it. In 1994 the park was designed by the landscape architect Gustav Langer to connect the two districts Prenzlauer Berg and Wedding like in the old days. The Mauerpark financed by the government and donations was designed with spacious hills and lawns. With its trees and orchards the park supposed to remind people of a Tuscan landscape. On the Eberswalder St/ corner Bernauer St there used to be a watch tower behind the wall on the side of West Berlin. It was a popular place to visit for tourists and West Berliners as well as a place for information, demonstrations and meeting people. One day after the fall of the wall in the night of the 10th to the 11th of November 1989 this piece of the wall was opened and an extra crossing-point was set up. At the memorial for the Berlin wall at Bernauer St 111 (between Hussiten St and Garten St) the visitors can look down from an observation platform on to an information centre and its memorial.
 From Mauerpark up to the northern railway grounds will beremembered on a large areathe division of the city by the Berlin wall.In 2018,started the construction of an underground waterstorage channel in the wall park area.

Find further information here